Sri Lanka was colonized first by the Portuguese, the Dutch and lastly the British. Due to this we have many of their influences in our clothes, language, architecture, administration, legislature and most importantly food.
Breudher is a bread that originated from the Dutch and later become inculcated into our cultural fabric. This is also a favourite Christmas time treat among all Sri Lankans, not only the Burgher community (Dutch descendants) or Christians . Usually people have this for breakfast with some cheese or jam.
Although many families still make this from scratch, many of us buy and some of lour local bakeries do some fabulous versions. The Fab, Sponge, Perera & Sons are some favourites. If you are ever visiting the Island at this time be sure to pick one out, you wont regret it. You can also order it online. It’s also a great gift to take for any dinner party.
Our all time Christmas favourite is the traditional Sri Lankan Christmas cake which is the most awesome thing I have ever had anywhere in the world, but Breudher is a much lighter ( if that word can be used) treat and can be indulged more often 😉
If you can get your hands on Charmaine Solomon’s Asian Cookbook it has a great recipe, but I found this one which works really well too. ( http://www.poppypeach.com/2013/05/52-week-project-sri-lankan-cookbook_9.html)
You will need a kugelhupf pan (this is a circular pan with a tube in the middle), this gives the Breudher its traditional shape although if all else fails you can use a normal bread tin.
Part 2: Breudher
150g (6 ozs) sugar
100g (4 oz) sultanas
1 tablespoon flour
3. Then weigh the dough to make sure it is 500g (1.1lbs).
4. Put it into an electric mixer and beat (with a dough hook) while adding the sugar slowly.
DECEMBER DELIGHTS HOLIDAY SWAG
LAST DAY TO ENTER & WIN!
For a chance to win this page-turning novelette by the amazing Christa Wojo of My Sweet Delirium, you can do any one of the following.
1. Like our Facebook page and let us know you did via a comment there or here – (One entry)
2. Share this post using one of the buttons below, and post the linkback in the comment box so we know who you are – Your name gets entered once for every social media button you use, so share using as many of the ones listed. (Limited to one entry per button, not # of times shared)
3. Leave a comment in the box below to let us know why you like this post (repeat comments by readers will be counted as one entry)
The winner will be announced on Sunday December 07, 2014 and will be entered in our December Delights Bumper Draw !
Chan is a writer, blogger and yogi with a passion for history and romance. She is a management professional living in the beautiful paradise island of Sri Lanka with her husband, and two furry soft toys she refuses to part with, much to his chagrin. An avid reader and health food junkie, she also loves to keep up-to-date with fashion trends, travel and binge on everything chocolate at the slightest excuse.